Sunday, October 26, 2008
"It's Been A While"
Every time I utter that phrase a poorly written rock/pop song hums through my mind. I don't know where it's from (time, singer, etc.) but I do know that most words that come from my mouth are just the mimicking nature of a two year old bursting from the lips of an adult. Think about every phrase you use on a regular basis. "All in all", "On the other hand", "That's what she said"...these are all just phrases that we heard someone say and subconsciously decided to repeat. Really, we are verbally plagiarizing those who we look up to. If we listen to the songs that the radio currently deems popular enough to push through our speakers 3 to 4 times an hour, we must wonder what phrases we will be using in the near future. "Shawty wanna thug..." (Lil' Wayne "Lollipop"), "You love me you like her..." (Mylie Cyrus "7 Things"), "Sticks and stones and weed and bombs..." (M.I.A. "Paper Planes"). The possibilities are endless....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"Fo Shizzle"
For years I used to say "For all intensive purposes." You can imagine my shock when I learned that I hadn't even mastered the simple skill of parroting "for all intents and purposes." Parroting is how we learn, but what is really interesting, for me, is to wonder what subtle changes will cause a language to suddenly evolve. Like linear A becoming linear B becoming Archaic Greek...
Post a Comment